Cats are certainly fascinating creatures that are known for their playful and curious nature. They love exploring their surroundings and sometimes end up ingesting items they shouldn’t – such as string! If your feline friend has eaten a string (or similar items such as dental floss), you may be wondering what you should do next. In this article, we will cover the dangers of a cat swallowing a string, signs to look out for, and when to seek veterinary intervention.
The Dangers of a Cat Swallowing String
When a cat swallows string, it can lead to serious, life-threatening health issues. The primary issue is the string getting stuck in the intestines, and causing the intestines to bunch up on themselves. This condition is known as a linear foreign body, and it can absolutely lead to the death of the cat if left untreated.
Signs Your Cat Ate String
It can be challenging to know if your cat has swallowed a string since they may not show any symptoms immediately – it can take days for problems to show themselves. However, here are some signs to look out for – and if you see anything like this you should contact your vet as soon as possible!
- Vomiting: Vomiting is often one of the first signs that trouble is brewing – especially if combined with other clinical signs.
- Loss of appetite: A cat that is in pain or nauseous due to issues in their stomach or intestine will often eat less or not at all.
- Lethargy: If your cat is unusually tired or not moving around as much as usual, this could be a sign that something is wrong.
If you notice any of these symptoms, it is crucial to take your cat to the vet immediately.
What to Do If Your Cat Swallowed String
If you suspect that your cat has swallowed a string, here are some things you can do to help:
- Stay calm: It is essential to remain calm and not panic!
- Pulling the string can cause more issues: If the string is all the way into the stomach (or coming out of the anus), then pulling the string hard could cause more issues. If you see a bit of string in your cat’s mouth, try gently to remove it. If there’s any resistance, stop and contact a vet immediately.
- Call your vet: Contact your vet immediately and explain what has happened. They will give you guidance on what to do next.
Expert vet advice at your fingertips
- Get trusted advice on a wide variety of topics
- Speak to a vet within minutes
- Quick, easy and affordable. Vet support made for you
Your vet may recommend bringing your cat in for an examination. They may perform an x-ray or ultrasound to get more information on what is going on inside the body. Everything from then on depends on how sick your cat currently is. While string-like objects may get stuck and cause serious problems, they can also pass through the intestines as well – if you’re lucky.
When to Seek Veterinary Intervention
It is essential to seek veterinary intervention as soon as you suspect that your cat has swallowed a string. The longer you wait, the more damage the string can cause to your cat’s intestines. If you notice any of the following symptoms, it is critical that you get your cat to the vet immediately:
- Straining to defecate
- Blood in the stool or vomit
- Signs of severe pain, such as crying out or growling
- Loss of appetite
- Collapse or loss of consciousness
In conclusion, if your cat has swallowed a string, it is essential to act quickly. Contact your vet immediately and explain what has happened. Remember, the longer you wait, the more damage the string can cause to your cat’s intestines. Keep an eye out for the signs mentioned above, and seek veterinary intervention as soon as possible.
If you have any concerns about your cat swallowing a string or anything uncommon, do get in touch. We have a team of expert vets on hand to help. Book a slot with one of them today.