Can Cats Eat Canned Tuna? You’ll Be Surprised!

Mag een kat tonijn uit blik eten?

Did you know that the story about cats loving fish because of ancient Egyptians luring them into their homes using fish is actually a myth? Cats love fish, and there is no doubt about it. But their love for fish is much simpler than that: cats are opportunistic feeders. The strong smell of fish makes it more appealing to them. So, if cats like fish, they probably like canned tuna. But can cats eat canned tuna? The answer may surprise you.

Cats can indeed eat canned tuna, but don’t be quick to feed it to them yet! Find out more about the risks, benefits, and how to feed tuna to your feline baby!

Canned Tuna Health Risks for Cats

First and foremost, it is worth noting that too much tuna (whether it’s fresh or canned) can be harmful to your cat. Tuna alone is not an adequate meal that can provide a good balance of nutrients for your cat. In addition, tuna is high in mercury, which can lead to mercury poisoning in your cat despite being rare. Symptoms of mercury poisoning in cats include loss of coordination and balance, difficulty walking, and more.

Important! Tuna is exceptionally appealing to cats, and if they’re fed regularly, they might avoid eating their regular cat food to favor canned tuna. Do not overindulge them as they can develop into picky eaters with feeding difficulties.

Cat insurance from From Dog insurance from Coverage Contribution Own risk
petsecur logo €8.46 €12.11 €3.250 — €6.000 10% — 50% €0 — €150
per year
ohra logo €14.05 €17.77 €3.000 — €6.000 20% €30 — €50
per year
figopet logo €12.16 €17.42 €3.000 — €5.000 20% — 50% €0 — €250
per year
InShared logo €13.27 €20,14 €3.000 — €6.000 20% none View
Unive logo €13.86 €14.67 €2.500 — €5.000 20% none View
aegon logo €10.56 €13.14 €3.500 25% €25
per claim

Canned Tuna Health Benefits for Cats

As a treat, tuna can be healthy for most cats as long as it is consumed in moderation. Tuna is a low-carb, rich source of protein and omega-3 essential fatty acids EPA and DHA which improve and maintain skin and coat. These acids help better conditions such as allergies, arthritis, and skin disease.

Before You Feed Them

The safest way to feed your cat canned tuna is to ask your vet. It’s important to always consult your vet when you make a new addition to their diet. Cats demand stability in their routine, including consistency in their food. So, if canned tuna is something that they might not be able to eat for whatever reason, it’s best to know beforehand.

When You Feed Them

Always feed your cat canned tuna packed in water. Do not give them any type of canned tuna with flavorings such as added salt or tuna in oil. Moreover, remember that all supplemental treats, including tuna, must make up less than 10% of your cat’s daily calorie intake. The other 90% must be proper, high-quality cat food. Avoid feeding them too much tuna. Try and limit tuna treats to 2-3 times a week.

Still looking for answers about your cat eating canned tuna? Schedule an instant video consultation with our qualified veterinarians and get tailored advice from the comfort of your home – today.

Looking for answers for
your furry friend?

Use our automatic Symptom Checker for advice on what to do next.

  • Answer questions about the issue to narrow down options
  • Wide range of symptoms and answers
  • Information on the most common toxic foods and household items
What seems to be the problem?
My dog Lily has vomited
Is there blood in the vomit?
Check Symptoms Now