Cats are carnivores which means they require meat protein in their diet. Commercial cat meals already contain all the necessary protein they need. So, feeding them anything extra such as pork is simply redundant. However, if you feel like offering them a new type of cat treat and consider pork to be an option, this article is for you.
Read carefully about cats eating pork before you feed it to your cat. Learn all about the necessity of cats eating pork as well as the safety measures you must take.
Can Cats Eat Pork?
Commercial cat meals usually contain a wide variety of meats. Pork, however, is normally excluded from that list. Nevertheless, cats can in fact eat pork, but only in moderation and less frequently than other meats. Know that pork is not the best choice for their diet as it can cause some problems if you choose to treat your cat often.
Benefits of Pork for Your Cat
Remember that when you safely feed pork to your cat in moderation, they can have a lot more benefits to gain from this meat treat. The benefits of feeding pork to your cat include:
- Source of High Protein: Pork is extremely rich in protein which is an essential nutrient for carnivores such as cats. However, be sure to check out leaner alternatives such as chicken that are much higher in protein and can be fed more often.
- Source of Vitamins & Other Nutrients: Pork contains B vitamins and minerals, such as B1, B2, B6, and B12, selenium, potassium, phosphorus, niacin, and zinc. B12 (cobalamin) is essential to cats for the proper function of their nervous system and immune system, as well as their digestive tracts.
Dangers of Pork for Your Cat
Pork is a type of meat that is extremely high in fat and sodium. Both of these nutrients are harmful to your cat when consumed in high amounts. Specifically, fat contributes to weight gain that may lead to obesity, but it can also block arteries when eaten frequently. Meanwhile, sodium causes an increase in thirst and added stress to your cat’s kidney, liver, and heart. Moreover, too much sodium can cause hypernatremia (sodium poisoning). This type of condition requires immediate medical attention.
How to Safely Feed Pork to your Cat
Pork is safe to eat, but you must always ensure caution in your feline baby’s process of eating it as well. Here are the three main components to safely feeding pork to your cat:
- Remove all bones: Unlike dogs, cats cannot chew on a good bone. They are nothing but a choking hazard to them. Make sure that you have carefully removed all the bones from the pork you are giving to your cat. To ensure maximum safety, cut the pork into bite-sized pieces.
- Cook thoroughly: Prevent any live parasites from causing diseases or poisoning by cooking the meat thoroughly. Do not ever offer half-cooked meat to your cat, no matter what kind.
- Feed in moderation: Moderation is important when it comes to pork due to the problems listed above.
Yes, you can safely feed pork to your cat. No, you cannot do it as often as you think. Pork ceases to be safe to eat when it is overconsumed due to its content.
If you are looking for safer, or even healthier human food options for a cat treat, you can consult our master post.