Looking to feed your furry pal some low-calorie snacks? Carrots sound like a good option, but is it? Can dogs eat carrots or are they one more toxic food that you need to watch out for? You’re in luck, because not only can dogs eat carrots, but they are strongly encouraged to do so!
This article informs you on the benefits of feeding your furry baby carrots and how to do it properly.
Benefits of Feeding Carrots to Dogs
Carrots are one of the best low-calorie snacks that you can give to your dog as a reward for good behavior. And they come with perks that apply to both you and your furry baby! The benefits of feeding carrots to dogs are:
- They are affordable.
- Cold or frozen carrots can relieve teething discomfort if eaten cold or frozen.
- They are perfect edible chew toys.
- They are a low-calorie alternative to traditional treats – and thus make it easier to keep your dog’s weight in check.
- A great source of vitamins such as: vitamin A to aid the immune system, potassium for nerve transmission & fluid balance, fiber, and more.
Expert vet advice at your fingertips
- Get trusted advice on a wide variety of topics
- Speak to a vet within minutes
- Quick, easy and affordable. Vet support made for you
Ways of Feeding Carrots to Dogs
There are different ways of eating carrots both as a human and a dog. You can feed carrots to them raw or cooked, frozen or cooled. Either option is healthy for your dog, as it is packed with nutritious value. In addition, you can use carrots as an add-in to their meals.
Important: If you have a small dog, cut whole carrots (including baby carrots) into bite-size chunks before you feed them to prevent choking. It is best to do this with large dogs, as well. Alternatively, you can turn it into carrot juice and serve it to them! However, remember that carrots lose their high fiber nutrients when they are juiced.
Moreover, consult your vet about the number of carrots that your dog can consume daily. Always ask about any potential health concerns.
Not only can dogs eat carrots, but they can take advantage of their refreshing nutrients and crunchy taste! Always remember that moderation is important. Do not overfeed them carrots! Ask your vet how many they are allowed daily and act accordingly!
Do you still have any questions about feeding your dog carrots? Then schedule a video consultation with one of our qualified vets!