It’s Christmas time and we’re all super excited and the holidays are on the way. This is the time when we pile our roast dinner plate high with all your favorite festive treats. And naturally, we want to treat our puppies as well as the Christmas spirit is all around. And although there’s nothing wrong with treating your dog with a delicious snack from time to time in addition to their normal diet, keep in mind that there are several foods that while fine for humans can be toxic and extremely dangerous for our furry friends.
Here are the top 8 most dangerous toxic foods for dogs that you should avoid at any time:
Alcohol is much more toxic to dogs than it is to humans, with even a small amount causing a variety of issues. These include vomiting, lack of coordination, and diarrhea. More severe symptoms may be tremors and coma. Make sure to keep alcohol well out of reach of your pups.
Any form of coffee contains caffeine, this is toxic and dangerous to your 4 legged friends. Even a minimal amount can cause death in small dogs.
Onion, Garlic and Chives
The onion family, in any form (raw or cooked), is toxic to dogs and can result in red blood cell damage. You may not notice signs of poisoning until a few days after consumption.
Raw bones can be fed without incident (make sure to monitor your dogs though) but cooked bones can easily splinter or break and cause a perforation of the gut. This can be fatal.
Grapes and Raisins
Grapes and raisins have been linked to kidney failure in dogs and cats. The amount needed to cause kidney issues is unknown so to be safe make sure to keep all grapes and raisins (including biscuits and cereals that contain them) away from your pet’s reach.
Chocolate contains a stimulant called Theobromine. Dogs are unable to metabolize this substance. Dark chocolate has a higher Theobromine content and is, therefore, a higher risk for your dog. White chocolate poses barely any threat to your dog (it is not recommended as a treat though) due to its minimal Theobromine content.
Macadamia nuts contain a toxin that can impact your dog’s nervous system and muscles. Poisoning can also result in swollen limbs and heavy panting.
Xylitol is found in an array of sugar-free products such as diet drinks and chewing gum. Some peanut butter also contains Xylitol, so always check your label! If ingested, your dog can go into hypoglycemic shock which is linked to liver failure.
In conclusion, if you plan to treat your doggo on Christmas make sure to avoid any of the above toxic foods for dogs. And if by some chance your pup still snatched one of those, call the vet immediately. Don’t wait. We know that vet bills can be devastating, so we’ve carefully crafted the best pet health insurance, so you can sleep well at night.