Can Dogs Eat Grapes or Raisins? Read First!

grapes are toxic for dogs

You want to share a quick snack with your furry pal and you find yourself wondering: Can dogs eat grapes? What about raisins?

You may find it irresistible not to share a treat with your dog, especially if they are begging you for a light snack with their pleading eyes. After all, offering them human food as a treat just once won’t kill them. But what if it does?

Certain human foods are so toxic that do not only cause minor pain but can absolutely threaten your dog’s life. Some of those foods include grapes and raisins.

Learn more about dogs eating grapes or raisins and find out what you can do if your dog digests any.

Can Dogs Eat Grapes or Raisins?

The short answer is no. Due to an unknown toxic substance in them, dogs cannot eat grapes or raisins.

Unlike other fruits which are safe to eat but can be harmful with overconsumption (for example, apples and bananas) there is no specific dose for grapes and raisins that render them toxic. For this reason, you should never risk giving them grapes at all. The level of toxicity in them varies, as some dogs can tolerate a small dose of the fruit without any side effects. Some dogs can become poisoned if they eat large amounts. At the same time, other dogs can be more sensitive and develop grape toxicosis after eating just a couple of grapes or raisins.

It is difficult to tell how many grapes or raisins a dog can eat and, thus, it is best for them not to eat any at all.

Grape Toxicosis in Dogs

According to studies, the toxicity of grapes in dogs is extremely dangerous. Signs of toxicosis from eating grapes in dogs include:

  • vomiting
  • diarrhea
  • lethargy
  • lack of appetite
  • increased thirst
  • abdominal pain
  • weakness
  • dehydration
  • tremors
  • kidney failure (within three days)

Expert vet advice at your fingertips

Vet Image
Next available time
 
  • Get trusted advice on a wide variety of topics
  • Speak to a vet within minutes
  • Quick, easy and affordable. Vet support made for you
Talk to a Vet

In the case of kidney failure, the kidney essentially shuts down and stops producing urine. Under such extreme circumstances, some dogs won’t survive. Grapes and raisins are far too dangerous for dogs. You must keep them away from them.

What Do I Do if My Dog Ate a Grape?

If you caught your dog stealing a grape or a raisin, it is absolutely necessary that you treat them right away. First and foremost, contact your vet. They will give you instructions on what steps you need to take next, so be sure to thoroughly explain the situation. They may suggest that you help your dog induce vomiting, however you shouldn’t make them throw up if your furry baby is experiencing breathing difficulties or showing any signs of distress.

Follow your vet’s instructions carefully. Do not do anything yourself before calling them.

Final Words

Dogs cannot eat grapes or raisins. They can be so dangerous that they can cause kidney failure that leads to fatal consequences. Always keep an eye out whenever you have a bowl of grapes on the kitchen table. Call your vet immediately if your dog eats any grapes or raisins. Do not make any decisions without your veterinarian’s instructions.

Did you know that pet parents are so concerned about the effects that grapes and raisins have on dogs that they are afraid to give any to their cats? Read the article about cats eating grapes and learn more.

Still looking for answers? Schedule an instant video consultation with our qualified veterinarians and get tailored advice from the comfort of your home – today.

Looking for answers for
your furry friend?

Use our automatic Symptom Checker for advice on what to do next.

  • Answer questions about the issue to narrow down options
  • Wide range of symptoms and answers
  • Information on the most common toxic foods and household items
What seems to be the problem?
My dog Lily has vomited
Is there blood in the vomit?
Check Symptoms Now

Pet Resource Center