As a pet owner, one of the scariest things to experience is seeing your furry friend eat something they shouldn’t. If your cat has eaten rat poison or a poisoned rodent, it’s important to act quickly and seek professional help from a veterinarian.
Rat bait is designed to disrupt the blood clotting ability of rodents, which can lead to uncontrolled bleeding and ultimately, death. Unfortunately, our pets can also be affected by rat bait by either directly ingesting it or by eating rodents who have already consumed the poison.
Common Symptoms of Poisoning by Rat Poison
Clinical signs of rat bait poisoning in cats are related to uncontrolled bleeding and can include vomiting (with or without blood), diarrhea (with or without blood), weakness, lethargy, pale gums, and bleeding from the gums. It’s important to note that these signs may take days to appear.
If you suspect that your cat has eaten rat bait (or a rat that has been poisoned!), the first thing you should do is contact a veterinarian as soon as possible. It’s not recommended to induce vomiting or try any other home remedies without consulting with a professional first.
Expert vet advice at your fingertips
- Get trusted advice on a wide variety of topics
- Speak to a vet within minutes
- Quick, easy and affordable. Vet support made for you
It’s important to seek veterinary care quickly because rat poison can be lethal if left untreated. Depending on the severity of the poisoning, treatment may include inducing vomiting, giving activated charcoal, providing blood transfusions or administering vitamin K to help restore the cat’s blood clotting ability.
If you are unable to contact your regular veterinarian or if it’s after hours, you can find contact information for 24/7 emergency veterinary centers and Poison Control Hotlines.
When in Doubt Consult a Vet
In conclusion, if you suspect that your cat has eaten rat poison or a poisoned rodent, don’t wait to see if they develop symptoms. Contact a veterinarian immediately to get the best possible care for your furry friend. Remember, early intervention can make all the difference when it comes to treating rat poison.
If you need more information about your cat eating rat poison or a poisoned rodent, do get in touch. We have a team of expert vets on hand to help. Book a slot with one of them today.