Bananas are a healthy treat for humans, but is it an equally healthy snack for cats? Are bananas good for cats or are they an unimportant addition to their diet? When you ask the question, “can cats eat bananas”, what you should really be searching for is an answer that goes beyond just feasibility.
This article informs about the nutritional value of bananas in cats and when it is safe to feed them to your feral babies.
Nutritional Value of Bananas for Cats
When you consider giving your feral baby human foods, you should make sure that they at least provide some kind of nutritional value. Cats are obligate carnivores, so they need a lot of animal-protein-based foods. Moreover, cats require plenty of other nutrients including vitamins, minerals, fatty acids, and more. These nutrients are found in your cat’s regular cat food. Therefore, bananas are simply an unnecessary addition to their diet.
Note: Additional nutrients do not always make for a healthier diet. But can cats eat bananas? Cats need a minimal amount of carbohydrates, and bananas are very much high-carb fruits! Giving them more nutrients than they need can cause problems.
Expert vet advice at your fingertips
- Get trusted advice on a wide variety of topics
- Speak to a vet within minutes
- Quick, easy and affordable. Vet support made for you
When Can Cats Eat Bananas?
There are a few cases in which you can actually feed your cat bananas. However, be careful. Before you consider feeding your cat, be mindful of the following:
- Cats are picky eaters, and they might not actually like bananas. Don’t try and force-feed them.
- Bananas are only a safe treat as long as it is an occasional snack that you only give to healthy cats. Avoid giving bananas to any cat with a health condition such as diabetes.
- Since no cat is the same, you need to be aware of the possibility to develop vomiting, diarrhea, etc. Alternatively, they might consume the banana with no issue.
- Don’t forget about the importance of moderation. Bananas are not meant to be a regular treat to cats.
Cats can eat bananas, but they don’t need to. Bananas offer no nutritional value that they might lack, and they are a tricky snack to get them to enjoy. Remember not to overfeed them if they do like bananas. And always consult your vet if you see any adverse signs.
Wondering if bananas are good for dogs? Read our blog post about dogs eating bananas! You can also schedule a video consultation with one of our qualified vets to get the answers you need!