Dog Ate a Plastic Bag. What to Do?

Dog ate plastic bag

Every dog parent knows the anxiety that comes with realizing your pet has gotten into something they shouldn’t have. Whether it’s the leftover chicken bones from last night’s dinner or your child’s favorite toy, dogs seem to have an innate ability to find and consume things that aren’t food. One such item that frequently finds its way into the canine digestive system is the plastic bag. But what happens if your dog makes a meal out of one? Let’s dive into this concern and guide you on what to do next.

What Happens When a Dog Eats a Plastic Bag?

It’s not just about the physical danger. When your dog consumes a plastic bag, several things can occur, and not all of them are immediately obvious. First and foremost, there’s the risk of physical obstruction. Plastic bags aren’t designed to travel through a dog’s intestines. Especially for smaller breeds, even a fragment of a bag can block their intestines, and this can be life-threatening.

Furthermore, we often overlook the potential for chemical contamination. Some plastic bags, especially those used for packaging, may be treated with chemicals. If your dog ingests these, they’re not just eating plastic; they might also be introducing harmful chemicals into their system.

Then there’s the immediate danger of choking. While we might be discussing what happens once the plastic is inside, let’s not forget that getting there can be a hazard in itself. Smaller pieces of plastic or parts that get stuck can pose a significant choking risk.

Cat insurance from From Dog insurance from Coverage Contribution Own risk
petsecur logo €8.46 €12.11 €3.250 — €6.000 10% — 50% €0 — €150
per year
ohra logo €14.05 €17.77 €3.000 — €6.000 20% €30 — €50
per year
figopet logo €12.16 €17.42 €3.000 — €5.000 20% — 50% €0 — €250
per year
InShared logo €13.27 €20,14 €3.000 — €6.000 20% none View
Unive logo €13.86 €14.67 €2.500 — €5.000 20% none View
aegon logo €10.56 €13.14 €3.500 25% €25
per claim

Will a Plastic Bag Naturally Pass Through a Dog?

The image many of us have is that what goes in must come out. While it’s true to an extent, plastic bags can be quite tricky. The size of your dog plays a role, of course. A Great Dane might pass a small piece of plastic more easily than a Chihuahua. But the size and type of plastic are equally crucial. While smaller fragments might pass with time, a large chunk or a whole bag can lead to severe complications. Additionally, the type of plastic – whether it’s soft and malleable or rigid – can influence how it travels through the system.

The Real Danger of Sharp Plastics

Let’s take a moment to address a particularly concerning scenario: your dog consuming sharp plastic. The danger here is two-fold. Sharp plastic has the potential to pierce the stomach or intestines, leading to an infection called peritonitis. This is as dangerous as it sounds. Additionally, any internal cuts or tears can result in internal bleeding. If you even remotely suspect that your dog has consumed sharp plastic, please don’t wait. Seek veterinary assistance immediately.

The Next Steps if Your Dog Eats Plastic

If you’re facing this situation, there’s a plan to follow. Firstly, gather as much information as possible. Try to determine the type and amount of plastic your dog might have ingested. This will be invaluable information for your veterinarian.

Speaking of which, your next step is to call your vet. Even if it’s a small piece and you’re not overly worried, it’s always good to get a professional opinion. They can advise on whether it’s best to monitor your dog at home or if an examination is needed.

Now, a common misconception is to induce vomiting. But this is a double-edged sword. Vomiting might seem like a way to get the plastic out, but in some cases, it can cause more harm, especially if the plastic is sharp or if your dog is already in distress.

Prevention is the Best Medicine

Lastly, once the immediate concern has passed, take a moment to puppy-proof your home. Ensure trash cans are secure, and keep plastics out of reach. Remember, your dog doesn’t know what’s good for them, but you do. Making your home a safe environment is the best way to prevent future scares.


Dogs are curious creatures, and sometimes that curiosity lands them in a bit of a pickle. If your dog eats a plastic bag or any foreign object, remember that staying calm and informed is key. Always prioritize their safety, and when in doubt, always consult with a veterinarian.

Looking for answers for
your furry friend?

Use our automatic Symptom Checker for advice on what to do next.

  • Answer questions about the issue to narrow down options
  • Wide range of symptoms and answers
  • Information on the most common toxic foods and household items
What seems to be the problem?
My dog Lily has vomited
Is there blood in the vomit?
Check Symptoms Now

Pet Resource Center