Do you ever wonder why your dog spends so much time under the sun even when it’s too hot? Everyone enjoys a little bit of sun once in a while, and that applies to your furry baby, too. Dogs love sunbathing, just as humans do! But is it as good for them as it is for us? Alternatively, can it be as harmful when the weather gets too hot? What are the ways to prevent any risks?
You can find answers to all these questions below!
Dog Sunbathing Benefits
Dog sunbathing offers similar benefits to human sunbathing. Examples include:
- Vitamin D: By regulating nutrients like calcium and phosphate in your dog’s body, Vitamin D helps keep their bones and muscles healthy.
- Serotonin: Sunbathing boosts your dog’s happiness levels just as it does for humans! Seratonin is a hormone known for boosting mood and encouraging calming feelings.
- Calcium & phosphorus: Calcium and phosphorus are essential minerals to dogs. They keep their bones healthy and can prevent osteoporosis.
- Relaxation: Lying in the sun is like therapy. They relax while at the same time obtain all those essential minerals.
- Improved rest: Dog sunbathing just as human sunbathing regulates the circadian rhythm. Dogs feel more tired when the sun sets and thus get better rest by sleeping more.
Did you know? Sunlight is a significant source of Vitamin D for humans but not as much for dogs!
Dog Sunbathing Risks
Too much sun is never good for anyone, not even for your canine pal. Prolonged exposure to the sun may result in sunburn and skin cancer in dogs. Depending on your dog’s breed, they might be at a much higher risk than others.
Expert vet advice at your fingertips
- Get trusted advice on a wide variety of topics
- Speak to a vet within minutes
- Quick, easy and affordable. Vet support made for you
Below you will find a brief list of safety measures that you must take to prevent any of the aforementioned dog sunbathing risks.
- Access to shade. Make sure that your dog can always seek out shade if the sun gets too intense for them.
- Dog-safe sunscreen. A more drastic yet safety-guaranteed measure is sunscreen for your furry friend. Don’t use human sunscreen! It may contain ingredients that are harmful to dogs. Invest in a dog-friendly sun protection cream. If your dog plans to go for a swim, get one that is waterproof.
- Access to water. Keep their bowl of water near them to seek it out if they need it. Keep your dog hydrated as much as possible!
- Sun-protective clothing. Protect your dog from sunburn by covering its skin with appropriate clothes. These can be hats, shirts, or bodysuits. You can also look for dog goggles or sunglasses to protect their eyes from harmful sun rays.
Everyone loves sunbathing, including dogs! But no matter how much we all enjoy the sun, we are constantly aware of the dangers when we don’t take the right safety measures during sunbathing. This very well applies to dog sunbathing, too. Enjoy the sun safely together!
Should you have any other questions, schedule a video consultation with one of Cooper Pet Care’s qualified veterinarians. Get immediate answers to whatever your issue might be.