There are plenty of human foods that are potentially unhealthy (or even toxic) for cats. Human foods are never meant to replace cat food in the feline diet. Should you feed your cat human food that is considered to be nutritional for your cat, make sure to always feed them in moderation. In addition, as you consider options for cat snacks, make sure to avoid any of the unhealthy or toxic foods that this article mentions below.
What You Should Know
If you suspect your cat has eaten too much of the foods below (or any amount of grapes, raisins, or chocolate), it is best to contact your vet immediately, even if just for peace of mind. Do not wait to see any symptoms if you know they have consumed something they shouldn’t have. It is better to be safe than sorry.
Find below a brief overview of some of the most dangerous foods for cats.
Canned tuna offers no significant nutritional value that their normal cat food and cat treats don’t already provide for them. It is best to avoid it altogether.
- Health risks: mercury poisoning.
- Symptoms: Loss of coordination and balance, difficulty walking.
Most types of cheese are unhealthy for cats. For some cats, even a tiny block of cheese could disrupt their digestive system.
- Health risks: dairy allergy, digestion problems, weakened immune system.
- Symptoms: Vomiting, diarrhea, bloating, itchy & red skin patches, hair loss.
|Cat insurance from From||Dog insurance from||Coverage||Contribution||Own risk|
|€8.46||€12.11||€3.250 — €6.000||10% — 50%||€0 — €150
|€14.05||€17.77||€3.000 — €6.000||20%||€30 — €50
|€12.16||€17.42||€3.000 — €5.000||20% — 50%||€0 — €250
|€13.27||€20,14||€3.000 — €6.000||20%||none||View|
|€13.86||€14.67||€2.500 — €5.000||20%||none||View|
Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine which both threaten a cat’s health.
- Health risks: chocolate toxicity.
- Symptoms: vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite, tremors, increased heart rate, panting, increased thirst, panting.
Although small amounts of coconut does little to no harm, the fruit itself as well as coconut-based products such as coconut milk or water can easily upset your cat’s stomach.
- Health risks: digestion problems, heart problems (coconut water).
- Symptoms: vomiting.
Grapes are one of the most toxic fruits that affect both cats and dogs. While there are no official reports on cats eating grapes, the signs that are found in dogs are alarming enough for experts to advise against feeding grapes to cats.
- Health risks: kidney failure.
- Symptoms: vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, loss of appetite, increased thirst, stomach pain, weakness, dehydration, tremors.
Sharing some leftover pizza with your feline friend may seem like a good idea, but generally it’s not. Pizza offers no nutritional value while many of its ingredients can be harmful if over-consumed.
- Health risks: digestion problems
- Symptoms: skin irritation, sneezing, vomiting, gas, diarrhea.
If your feline baby has consumed any of the above foods, do not panic. Remember that some of these foods are less harmful than others. Some of them may not be as dangerous if your feline baby has only stolen a bite or two from them. Call your vet and try to calmly resolve the problem as soon as possible.
Cooper Pet Care’s mission is to protect our furry friends by providing simple, flexible and transparent healthcare solutions for the pet parents of today. So schedule an instant video consultation with one of our qualified veterinarians and get your pet the care they need.
Do you have a dog? Find out which human foods are toxic for dogs!